Today we continue with our break from regularly scheduled programming, but don’t worry I’ll be back with the style content soon. Now that my 1 year blogiversary has passed and the giveaway celebration is underway, I want to take some time to let you guys get to know me better. I can’t take the credit for wanting to share a little about myself though. I was nominated by Allison of The Savvy Camel to participate in the 11 Questions Challenge. The rules are simple. Answer the 11 questions given and then nominate 11 other bloggers to answer your 11 questions.
I’ve said it many times before, but I’ll say it again. The blogging community is the most supportive community out there. We’re ultra passionate about what we do and that shows in the content we create and all the long days and nights dedicating our time to learning this craft. I’m endlessly grateful for all of the relationships I’ve forged in the past year as a blogger.
Enough talk though and let me get to these 11 questions. I’m going to go off the top here, stream of consciousness style. Alright, let’s go.
1. What song would you choose to be your life’s theme song?
That’s a tough one. I’m going to cheat and go with a song that’s been my life’s theme song in the past year. Some people know that I’ve been obsessed with the Hamilton soundtrack. Waiting for the day when Lin Manuel comes back for a reunion tour (one can dream). Anyway, there’s a track titled, “My Shot” which I embarrassingly rapped live on Facebook.
Here’s a short lyric snippet:
“I’m past patiently waitin’
I’m passionately smashin’ every expectation
Every action’s an act of creation
I’m laughin’ in the face of casualties and sorrow
For the first time, I’m thinkin’ past tomorrow
And I am not throwing away my shot
I am not throwing away my shot
Hey yo, I’m just like my country
I’m young, scrappy and hungry
And I’m not throwing away my shot!”
‘Nuff said. It’s been my life’s anthem for the past year now.
2. Why did you start blogging?
A couple of reasons…
- I started Gentleman Within because I was in the middle of developing my own personal style (still am) and I wanted to experiment, try new brands and styles, and get free stuff (who doesn’t like free things?)
- I often got asked questions from friends on how and when to wear certain things and so I realized that I could use my knowledge to teach not only my friends, but millions of other style conscious men around the world.
- I also wanted to merge my skills (writing, design, and style) and ultimately what became my passions to create my own unique art that I can share with the world. Whether it’s through the blog, other social channels like Instagram, Twitter or YouTube.
I think I understand the saying that when you find what you love that you don’t work another day in your life. Of course it’s hard work, but the difference is I actually enjoy it, unlike a standard day job.
3. Favorite sweet treat?
Growing up it was always chocolate. Doesn’t matter what it was, whether 3-layer chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream, chocolate frosted donuts, if it’s chocolate, I’d eat it. I’ve kinda let off on sweets a bit, but every now and then it doesn’t hurt to indulge in a chocolate cake cheesecake or whatever. Key-lime pie and flan is always good too.
4. If you could only wear one color for the rest of your life, what would it be?
5. Who is/are someone that you consider your biggest supporter(s) in life?
Family hands down. They don’t have to say anything, but I know they’re always there for me. Family first.
6. Where is the next place you hope to travel to?
Australia, Amsterdam, Berlin.
7. What has been your biggest challenge in blogging and how are you overcoming it?
The biggest challenge among a myriad of challenges was always getting eyeballs. Still is. Getting people to actually notice what I was doing and that I’m serious about it. It’s tough growing a brand from scratch with all the noise out there, but even tougher in a small niche like menswear where 95% (probably more than that) of men simply don’t care about it.
The way I’ve been overcoming it or at least trying to is to continue working and putting out what I believe is great content. If I’m consistently good, I believe that the right people (my people, my tribe) will eventually find me. The world’s a big place and I believe that there’s an audience out there for what I’m talking about. And so I remain steadfast in what I’ve set out to do and I keep doing it regardless of what anyone says. I also am learning to promote myself more and be unapologetic about putting my work out there. The world is filled with people who hide and fear judgement, and so they choose not to share their passions and gifts with the world. The reality is the world needs more people to share their passions, because it’s those people who can change the world for the better. By showing my work, I feel like I’m doing my part.
8. If you could be fluent in any other language, what would it be?
French, because it sounds like a song. It’s such a beautiful language.
9. Proudest accomplishment in life so far?
It may not sound like a big deal, but getting Gentleman Within past the 1 year mark by consistently putting out what I feel is quality work. I’ve got a ways to go, but it’s a good start. I feel like it’s just the beginning of an exciting journey. I have no idea where it’s going to take me, but I’ve got a good feeling about it. Hopefully my proudest accomplishment will always be the next one.
10. What is one of the biggest leaps of faith you’ve taken in your life?
Saying no to a day job. Confined and shackled to a desk, slaving to help build someone else’s dream. That life ain’t for me. I made a promise to myself that I’d never work another typical 9-5 day job again in my life. I’m going to do whatever it takes to create the life that I want to live. I just can’t ever see myself working for ‘the man’ again. I understand that people find security in it, but I always knew that it was never for me. And when I found something worth going all-in for, that I would take a leap and learn to fly as I go. I’ve got a feeling that I’m doing the right thing. It’s called a leap of faith for a reason. You may not be able to see the destination, but you trust that you’re being guided down the right path.
11. Biggest pet peeve?
Hmm, this is a tough one. What simply annoys the hell out of me? It’s people who completely lack self-awareness and have disregard for the people around them. Two examples; people who talk obnoxiously loud in public places like on a train, and people who smoke where they shouldn’t be smoking, leaving cigarette butts on the ground or throwing them out of their car window. Not only are they harming themselves, but they’re harming others and the environment. Not cool.
MY 11 BLOGGER FRIEND NOMINATIONS
- Ian Riley of Fit Man Style
- Ivan Martinez of I&J Personal Style
- Peter Dicarlo of The Dapper Ninja
- Vasilis Stefanou of The Life Upgrades
- Alyssa Breeden of Home Sewn Home Goods
- Sola Onitiri of Let’s Get Going
- Melisa Martinez of The Career Fashionista
- Julia Dent of The Philly Photo Blog
- Ashley Napier of Large Cold Brew
- Rebecca Braglio of The Philly Dog
- Tina Lee of Of Leather And Lace
MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU
- (stealing from Allison) Why did you start blogging?
- If your entire life was a movie, what would the title be?
- Who was your favorite cartoon character as a child?
- What’s your favorite quote of all-time?
- Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give to your teenage self?
- If you could bring one musician back from the dead, who would it be and why?
- What or who has been the greatest influences in your life thus far?
- What are some goals that you have for your blog in the short and long term?
- What’s the one superpower you wish you had and how would you use it?
- (stealing another one) What is one of the biggest leaps of faith you’ve taken in your life?
- What is “Home” to you?
That’s it! I hope you all learned a bit more about me and I hope you go and check out the list of amazing bloggers I’ve nominated.
Catch ya on the next one.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ?
Get more posts like this plus style tips & advice delivered straight to your inbox.